- Clean & wash the chicken pieces. Drain the water or pat dry.
- Slice the onions and tomatoes. Slit 6 green chillies
- Chop 1 cup coriander leaves and 1 cup mint
- Whisk the yogurt and set aside
- Wash & soak the Basmati Rice for 30 mins.
To cook the Chicken:
- Heat 6 tbsp oil in a heavy bottom pan and add the sliced onions.
- Fry on high heat for around 12 mins till the onions are light brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry on low heat for 2 mins.
- Now add the chicken pieces, mix and fry on high heat for 2-3 mins.
- Add the ready made Biryani Masala, mix and fry on medium heat for 3 mins after adding a splash of water.
- Readymade Biryani Masala usually contains salt, hence salt is not added while cooking the chicken in this recipe. Do check if the biryani masala you are using has salt in it.
- Now add the sliced tomatoes, mix it well and cook on medium to low heat for 4-5 mins till soft.
- Keep the heat on low and add the whisked curd/yogurt. Give a mix and then add the chopped coriander and mint leaves.
- Cook on low heat for 2 mins till oil separates.
- Cover & cook on low heat for around 20-25 mins till chicken is tender. Remove lid after 10 mins, give a mix and close the lid again.
- Dry up any excess water to get a thick gravy.
To cook the Rice:
- Take one more heavy bottom pan & add around 2.5 litres of water. Place it on high heat.
- You may include the water in which rice was soaked in this 2.5 litres for enhanced flavour & taste.
- Once the water starts to boil or bubble, add Shah Jeera – 1/2 tsp, Green cardamom -4, Cloves – 4, Cinnamon- 2 pieces and Salt- 2 1/2 tablespoon (two and half tablespoon)
- Stir it well to dissolve the salt completely . The water must be very salty.
- Once the water starts boiling, add the strained basmati rice & stir it well.
- Continue to boil it on high heat, stirring few times very gently to not break the rice.
- After 8-9 minutes when the basmati rice is almost done (90%) remove it from heat and strain the water. Set it aside.
Layering the rice and cooked chicken:
- Take a heavy bottom pan and spread half the cooked rice as the 1st layer.
- Now spread the cooked chicken with gravy on top of the rice uniformly as shown in the video.
- Next, spread the balance rice as the top layer.
- Sprinkle some mint leaves on top of the rice. Close the lid and cook on low heat for 7-8 mins.
- Allow it to rest for around 20 mins.
- Once you open the lid, mix the chicken and rice evenly.