To marinate , use Chicken Tikka pieces or cut the tikka pieces from boneless thigh pieces and/or fillets as per your preference.
Marinate the chicken tikkas with items specified and mix well. Set aside for 1 hr.
- Take 1/2 cup of warm milk & soak 10-12 saffron strands. Mix it with a spoon and set aside.
- Slice 2 medium onions & chop the green chillies, coriander leaves, and mint leaves
- Wash and soak the basmati rice for 30 mins before cooking.
- Whisk the curd/yogurt.
To cook the Chicken Tikkas:
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and arrange the marinated tikkas side by side. Don’t crowd the pan, make it in 2 batches.
- Fry on high heat for 2 mins, flip the tikkas on the other side and continue to fry on high heat for 2 mins on the other side.
- Flip again on the other side and continue to fry on medium heat for 3 mins on each side.
- Repeat the same for the next batch too.
To make the Gravy:
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan and add the sliced onions. Fry on medium heat for around 10 mins till light brown.
- Add the Ginger Garlic paste and fry on low heat for 2 mins.
- Now add the tomato purée, mix and fry on medium heat for a minute (in case you are adding fresh tomato purée cook for 2-3 mins).
- Add all the spice powders and salt to season. Mix and cook on low heat for 2-3 mins.
- Add the whisked curd/yogurt and cook on low heat while stirring for 3 mins till oil separates.
- Add the chopped green chillies, coriander leaves and mint, give a mix and cook on low heat for 1 min.
- Now add 150 ml water, give a mix and cook for 2 mins till the gravy is thick and oil separates. Set aside for use later.
To cook the Rice:
- Wash & soak the Basmati Rice for 30 minutes
- Boil 1.5 litres water in a pan on high flame.
- Add all the whole spices and 1.5 tbsp salt
- Stir it well to dissolve the salt completely. The water must be very salty.
- Once it comes to boil, add the soaked rice & keep on high, turning it gently a few times till the rice is 90% done. This should take 8-9 mins.
- Strain the water & keep the rice aside on a big plate.
To assemble the Biryani:
- Take a flat bottom pot and brush with 1 tsp ghee on the base of the pot.
- Now arrange half of the cooked rice and spread the gravy uniformly on the rice.
- Arrange the fried chicken tikkas side by side on top of the gravy. Add the mint leaves over the tikkas and spread the balance cooked rice over this.
- Spread the the saffron milk on the rice.
- Close with a lid and cook covered on DUM on low heat for 8 mins.
- Let it rest for 20 mins before mixing the rice and chicken evenly.